Sunday, September 7, 2008

Goodbye Old Pal


I had to say goodbye to Blitz Saturday. I took him to the local vetenarian office and signed him over to the grim reaper. Not one to be overly sensitive to the PETA crowd, I must say that putting him down was as sad an event as I have faced in some time. He had become difficult to keep healthy, and his hind quarter was arthritic. His soon end was inevitable, still I am grieved because I feel I should have done better by him. His ride to the vets was like any other time. Blitz who was never a car dog, did not look forward to rides like some dogs do. Nonetheless through the years he got used to the idea. There were times in the past when he shook like crazy when we got near the place. Saturday morning he was as calm as could be. He trusted me.


I took him for a final walkabout Saturday morning, and like other walks recently he came up dragging his backside after running. Still if I could speak to him I know he would have wanted to go on. He was that kind of dog. That is what makes me feel so bad about it. Even in his last days with me he knew when we were going to go out in the park. He would walk to the back gate and stand there looking at me wagging his tail. We were walking buds, he knew it, and I'll never forget his companionship.


True to the spiritual nature of this rarely entered blog, I will finish with this. I made Blitz the same promise I made my other dog Artie at the end. As I kind of gave him a goodbye hug I told him that if the LORD GOD allows it in eternity, I'll have him recreated. If dogs do go to heaven, I want him to be there.

No comments: